Do you have Medicare? Starting in April 2018, watch your mailbox! Medicare is mailing new cards with new Medicare numbers to every person with Medicare. Medicare will be removing Social Security numbers from Medicare cards and mailing each person a new card. This will help keep your information more secure and help protect your identity. You don’t need to do anything to get your new card. Once you get your new Medicare card, destroy your old card. You can start using your new Medicare card right away at this pharmacy and with your doctor or other healthcare providers. Keep an eye out for your New Card, New Number!
You’ll get a new Medicare Number that’s unique to you, and it will only be used for your Medicare coverage. The new card won’t change your coverage or benefits. You’ll get more information from Medicare when your new card is mailed.
Here’s how you can get ready:
- Make sure your mailing address is up to date. If your address needs to be corrected, contact Social Security at ssa.gove/myaccount or 1-800-772-1213. TTY users can call 1-800-325-0778.
- Beware of anyone who contacts you about your new Medicare card. Medicare will never ask you to give them personal or private information to get your new Medicare number and card.
- Understand that mailing everyone a new card will take some time. Your card might arrive at a different time than you friend’s or neighbor’s.
- Read “10 Things to Know About Your New Medicare Card“
- You can click here to see the layout of the new card or click here to see a short video about the new card.
- To learn more, you can visit Medicare’s website by clicking here.